Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Shouldn’t it be about the children?

Last night on NY 1, Dominic Carter gave another one of his terrific interviews during The Road to City Hall. He asked several politically savvy politicos about the current brinkmanship currently being carried out in our state capital.

He paused and asked: “Tell me, is it all about the Power? Shouldn’t it be about the children? Is it all about who has the power to pick someone to be principal who couldn’t lead five people out of a room?”

Unfortunately that’s what it is ALL about, and not just in Albany!

I have pointed out how many forces control what goes on in District 75. Beyond the Hibernians there are Democratic political clubhouses in the north of Manhattan and in the Bronx that help decided who will get promoted and to where.

But there are also factions within factions that help shape the destiny of the children in District 75.

When I was a teacher-trainer assigned to make educational videos at the district office, I shared my room with many other bureaucrats.

One day when the rest were off to yet another meeting, I sat at a desk trying to edit down some footage on my little Amiga. I heard someone weeping behind me. I turned. There was a very attractive African-American woman standing just inside the door. I turned on the volume control so she would realize that she was not alone.

She looked at me and apologized: “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize there was anybody in here.”
I asked if there were something I could do.

She told me that she had just started working at the district office as a school secretary a few weeks before. She had spent two decades in the military. She began to cry again:
I don’t understand what goes on around here! It is like one person is always undermining someone else. I worked under some pretty bad conditions in the military… but I have never seen anything like this!

BINGO!

Only a few weeks there and she had the place figured out.

No comments:

Post a Comment